To me, it is more like a poundcake. I am in love with this bread. It is so moist and so much lighter than I thought it would be. The coconut is definately the star ingredient in this bread. It would be fabulous if you are attending a luau themed party or just if you are looking for something a little different than you usually make. The recipe is for 2 loaves. I halved it and am sorry I did. This is a definate keeper for me.
Tropical Coconut Bread
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp coconut extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. DO NOT USE A MIXER WITH THIS RECIPE, USE A SPOON OR SPATULA AND STIR BY HAND.
3. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
4. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, and coconut extract; mix well.
5. Alternately add flour and buttermilkto sugar mixture and stir only until moist.
6. Stir in shredded coconut.
7. Pour batter into 2 prepared loaf pans , place on middle rack and bake for 1 hour.
I hope you will all give this a try. ALOHA!