Monday, May 18, 2009

Tuscan Shrimp withWhite Beans

If there was ever a recipe that should be considered a "keeper"this one is it. I found this at Dragon's Kitchen.

I absolutely love this blog and this recipe blew me away. Now, I know you all know my sister, Donna, at My Tasty Treasures.
If you haven't already, check her out. Her blog is fantastic. It is for a more mature audience, but it's all fun. She is the reason I am doing this. She inspires me to want to cook more. She is my best friend and the best sister ever and the whole reason behind this, is that even she can't wait to try this recipe. TIP: Make sure you have lots of fresh,crusty bread on hand to sop up the juices. Here is my version of the recipe, just a few minor tweaks to my tatse.

Tuscan Shrimp with White Beans

3 cups canned white kidney beans
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp olive oil
16 Large Shrimp,peeled, tail on ( I used way more than 16)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup peeled, seeded and diced tomato, canned or fresh
1 cup whoile basil leaves, I rolled mine up and sliced them
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
Directions:
1. Drain the beans over a bowl and reserve the liquid. Put the beans in a large skillet with just enough of their liquid to moisten them.
2. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and bring the beans to a low simmer. Keep them warm while preparing the shrimp
3.Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook for a minute, tossing frequently. ( I cooked mine longer, like my shrimp crunchy) Remove the shrimp to a bowl.
4. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until garlic browns. Add red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Add tomato and basil and stir breifly, then add lemon juice.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, and then stir in the shrimp. Toss well and reheat the shrimp. When shrimp is heated through stir in the beans and everything you can scrape from the pan and toss gently together. Spinkle with parsely. Serve in a bowl with lots of bread.
I hope you will all give this a try, I think you will love it as much as I do and take a visit to Dragon's Kitchen.

30 comments:

  1. Cute blog! This dish looks so healthy and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good and tasty use of white beans; I like the addition of the fresh tomato and basil to give it bright color. I'm thinking I'd like to eat this cold (after rinsing and draining the beans first). What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some shrimp in the freezer and some beans in the pantry. I'll have to give this one a try. I love recipes that include bread for dipping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am defintitely trying this dish. Maybe this week. It looks delicious, Denise! Your blog is doing well, so excited for you, keep it up!! I know Tommy will LOVE that line.. BTW Tommy is her policeman hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good. The shrimp must taste delicious smothered in those lively flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy this looks great I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great. My husband's a huge shrimp fan, so he would love it if I made this for him. How lucky you are to have such a fun sister. She seems like such a hoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a keeper I have everything to make this thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! I love white beans :).

    It's so funny that your husband is a policeman, and Donna's is a firefighter! I guess your name will have to be Denise-PMW?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Over from Donna's request... Not a big bean fan, but I do use the white bean in my award winning "Wicked White Chili".. Recipe looked tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This look great, Denise! I love me some white beans and shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DH hubby would love this... shrimp *and* some good bread for dipping. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds awesome...and I love dishes you can mop up with bread (and Tuscan is guaranteed plus in my book). YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I bet the shrimp is just great in there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had me with "Tuscan" and "shrimp." And the recipe looks fabulous. Will bookmark it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and your sis are awesome, as is this dish! It looks absolutely delicious. I'm a huge fan of white beans, and I'm always excited about recipes that manage to incorporate them. Fabulous job!! What a great looking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi there! I found you through your sis...great blog here! This dish sounds awesome...I love the Tuscan flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love beans recipe and this looks so good. Thanks for the link. Can't wait for more recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I jumped over here from Donna's blog. The shrimp and beans look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This recipe looks so good! I would have never thought to put beans with the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  21. donna sent me...this is a nice twist with the shrimp - looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the shrimp in this...love your Donna too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not a shrimp person, but I bet this would be great with shredded chicken or with just the beans, mixed in with some pasta. I love tomato-sauce based recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow adding shrimp to this really puts it over the top! What a great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks delicious and sounds healthy too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Denise! Donna sent me! How lucky to have her for a sister! She's wonderful! :)

    This looks amazing! This is something my family will love. Thanks!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I wish I had read this one before I did my grocery shop...I'll have to remember it for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, Denise!
    I made this tonight and the kiddos (& I)loved it! I did make a couple of changes. I used a can of petite tomatoes, only 1 can of beans (I only had one:( ), and I added spinach and pinch of nutmeg. I left out basil, parsley, and (oops)lemon. Oh, and I seasoned my shrimp with a bit of old bay seasoning.

    Thanks again, Denise!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so glad you liked the recipe! Keep up the great work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have been making this dish for years, it comes from, Michael Chiarello's "Easy Entertaining" on Food Network, it is also in one of his books. By the way if you are ever in the Napa Valley, his Paninoteca and Wine bar in Yountville CA are to die for.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

I'd be so happy to hear your thoughts, answer questions, or exchange ideas.