Monday, October 12, 2009

Back...with my 12 cookies of Christmas


Hello all. Yes, I have been away for awhile and I really have no excuse except I was overwhelmed with the start of kindergarten, and pre- K, a new work schedule, my husband got very busy at work and was working 18 hour days, 7 days a week and I felt like a single parent for a while. We also had my Brother -in-laws wedding, in which my daughter was the flower girl,


and we were busy picking pumpkins and getting ready for fall.

I have missed you all and hope you will still follow along as I get back into the swing of things. I have loved looking at all the delish things that have been made while I was away. I cannot wait to be inspired by you all again and hope I can do the same for you.
I am back with a cookie, not just a cookie, but a cookie tray cookie. I am going to give you, over the next few weeks, the 12 favorite cookies that go on my cookie tray for the holidays. These cookies are so pretty to look at and so delicious to eat. This recipe comes from Stick to your hips, her blog is full of tempting recipes that will definately catch your eye, so check it out, when you get a chance. This cookie is flaky and tender, from the addition of cream cheese and they are so good with a nice cup of tea or coffee, so here it is Cookie #1 on my cookie tray:
Cream Cheese Cinnamon Swirls

1 cup butter, softened
1-8 ounce package cream cheese, room temp
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
In a large bowl beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until fluffy.


Combine the flour and salt and gradually beat it into the butter mixture. Divide dough in two and wrap each tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour. Combine sugar and cinnamon and set aside.


On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a rectangle- about 1/4 inch thick.


Spread 1/2 the cinnamon sugar mixture to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Don't be afraid that it is too much, it's not. Repeat with other half of dough.



Roll up tightly- starting at either the short or long edge, I did long edge, using the shorter edge will give you a fatter log and bigger cookies.

Wrap log tightly in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375, I use 350, but that's just my oven. Slice logs into 3/8 inch slices and place 2 inches apart on a parchmant lined cookie sheet pan.




Bake 14-16 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.


This is what you get. A tender, flaky, cinnamon sugar cookie that will knock your socks off. They sparkle and are so perfect for your holiday tray.






'
I cannot wait to see what everyone else is putting on their holiday trays, I'm sure I will find some additions to make to mine and I hope mine make you make some additions to yours.
It's good to be back!!!!!!!




28 comments:

  1. Hi Denise! It's so nice to have you back! I was about to ask Donna if you were alright! :0)

    Your cinnamon swirls look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic!! There is a group of us girls baking cookies until Christmas, we post on Fridays..you wanna join us? Would love for you to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried cream cheese in a cookie. Sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, glade you're back! Cookies are awesome! I make a similar cinnamon cookie, but without cream cheese. I like yours better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to blogging :) Your cookies look delicious! And they're really pretty, too. They'd be a great addition to a cookie tray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cookie for your return.. They look gorgeous and yes, lovely for the Christmas tray!!

    I love how the flakiness shows as well as the sparkle. Even though we speak almost daily, I have missed you around these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you back! The cinnamon swirls look just scrumptious, a perfect treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're so sparkly. Anything with two sticks of butter, cream cheese and cinnamon sugar has to be good!

    So glad you're back-- missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute cookies.. and those are two adorabale little angels..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Denise! I've missed you and glad you are posting recipes again. The cookies look great and I am looking for some holiday recipes. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back- these look amazingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonder where you went! I like those baked goods!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look delicious! Glad to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. great to see you again! the cookies looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so cute and I love cinnamon. Glad I found your blog from Abby Sweets. I'll have to take a good look around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that cookie looks like a cinnamon roll, YUM. I have missed you, glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to see you back and with these delicious looking cookies! They are the next best thing to a real cinnamon bun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to see you bake and with a yummy sparkly cookie to boot!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you're back! I can't wait to make this cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a girl who loves sparkle! All sparkle but especially sugar sparkle! Gotta try these!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would you be totally annoyed if I used your cookie list to bake during the holidays? I am SO overwhelmed trying to decide what cookies to make this year that I think I need some guidance. And after seeing these babies, I have total and complete trust in your taste in cookies. These look amazing!

    I am so glad that you're back in the blogger world! We missed you :D.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Denise, welcome back! Nothing quite like the flavor of cinnamon rolls...especially for breakfast...regular or cookie-ish. Which I haven't had yet...they look delish :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you're back, Denise! These look like little baby cinnamon rolls. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks like a wonderful cookie...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm on the net now just looking for some kind of different cookie I'd like to try for Christmas as I am now down to making ONLY what will my husband and daughter, her b/f and our son like. This Is VERY LIMITED. I make what my "MOM & GRANDMA" call Swedish Pecan Cookies", very simple and easy and I shape into cresents and balls. I make Cut Out's a Family tradition, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies. I'd like to make some type of brownie cookie in a mini muffin pan and that is what I was searching for, when I FOUND YOU and THIS RECIPE!!! I will admit, I hate rolling cookies, but will for this one, possibly today as I have the ingredietns and it is snowing to beat the band here in Upper Michigan! Thanks for this recipe as well as a new site I will come to when I need recipes. I very seldom use the net other than to play Farkle or get recipes...sometimes news. Happy 2010 Holiday's to you and your's!! just a "Yooper Gal"

    ReplyDelete

I'd be so happy to hear your thoughts, answer questions, or exchange ideas.