Saturday, November 21, 2009

Quick Cinnamon Biscuits- Have no Fear- No Yeast involved!!!

I am a huge fan of Cinnabon. Oh, come on you all know who they are. If you have ever been to a mall, you have probably walked by one or tried to walk by one, but inevitably you get sucked in by the smell and you give in and buy this humongous creation of butter and dough and cinnamon sugar and then curse yourself the rest of the day for having no willpower at all...I have done it, I am not ashamed to admit it. My sister and I have made cinnamon rolls with yeast and they were good, but they were time consuming and I don't have alot of time to spend waiting for dough to rise. These are more a biscuit type cinnamon roll. so easy and they are so gooey and soft, they are a great fake out to the all time consuming yeast cinnamon roll. The original recipe can be found here, at Ezrapoundcake. All you have to do is check out the recipe index and you will know why I visit there so often.




Quick Cinnamon Biscuits

Filling:

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

Mix together in small bowl and set aside.

Biscuit Dough

2 1/2 cups flour

2tbsp packed, brown sugar

2 tsp baking powfer

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups plus 1 tbso heavy cream

Icing:

6 tbsp powdered sugar

6 tsp heavy cream

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400.

For the Dough:

In a large bowl, stir together the flour,brown sugar,baking powder and salt.


You do not need to use your stand mixer for this recipe, just a bowl and a good wooden spoon.
Add 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream( yes, this is fattening), and stir until dough forms a ball, about 1 minute. With your hands, fold dough over a few times in the bowl, until dough is smooth.




Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly flour your hands, and pat the dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle, about 9x13 inches. Brush the surface of the dough with the remaining tbsp of heavy cream.



Sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar topping.






Starting from the long side, roll dough into a cylinder.






Slice into 9 equal rounds.




Place the rounds, cut side down, into an ungreased 8 inch square baking dish or a pie plate.




Bake about 30 minutes, until biscuits are lightly browned.


For the Icing:
While the biscuits bake, mix together confectioner sugar with the heavy cream until smooth.
When you remove the biscuite from the oven,immediately drizzle with icing. Serve warm or I am sure they would be fine the next day or later on if you have to microwave them for a few seconds or do what I did and eat them cold.



These were so quick and easy and they really were good. A great treat to serve if you are having company stay for the holidays and what a great way for them to wake up, to a house that smells like Cinnabon.




I will eventually try a yeast recipe, but for now these cinnamon biscuits will do the trick.



Come on, who wouldn't want one of these with a nice cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate while you are decorating your tree this year? Or have a batch ready Xmas morning and enjoy them while the kids are tearing through their presents. I would, I'll have two, thanks....lol

35 comments:

  1. this look great creative way to use biscuits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea, I make them the long way, but next time I will try this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my favorite flavors here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost taste these...very nice recipe...and NO YEAST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to make traditional cinnamon rolls for breakfast last weekend, but with all the rising time, it would have been lunch time before they were ready. I wish I would have this recipe! I'm going to make these tomorrow morning!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh, I have a recipe like this and it's super good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the no yeast thing! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, the third cinnamon rolls I have seen today and I want some...I use pizza dough and all the rest, they are pretty good...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to know that I'm not the only one sucked in by Cinnabon and then regret it later :-D. These sounds super easy and really yummy! I love anything hinting at being a cinnamon roll--so I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want some!

    Last Monday I made Coleen's recipe for cinnamon rolls it was great!

    Btw, that last photo is a winner!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recipe! Look so yummy and comforting! I must try these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What scrumptious little beauties! I love that no yeast is involved. These would be perfect for Thanksgiving morning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummm... These are sooo very good!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, making these asap, they'll love me in the morning for it..

    They look fantastic, Denise.. really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to wake up to these and a nice cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
  16. These would be perfect while decorating the tree. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I would!! Great minds think alike...cinnamon rolls are so perfect today (and yesterday and tomorrow). And yeah, loooooove Cinnabon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love cinnamon rolls and biscuits so this recipe is for me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love cinnabon too! Your version looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a new follower from My Tasty Treasures!!! These look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love cinnamon rolls!! These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now you've got me seriously craving Cinnabon! These look fantastic. They are definitely getting made for the next holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aren't shortcuts wonderful, especially when they produce such a superior and yummy looking product. I know I will love these.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Denise, I'm the one who got your name in the cookie exchange. Seems I'm the last one to mail my package. I didn't forget you! I have all my stuff to mail, just dont have any cookies that are behaving. 2 batches down, didn't work out. :(
    Making more tonight and they will be on their way. Dont hate me cuz I'm a slacker! :) I'm on it!!!
    Cinnamon rolls look to die for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is there anyone out there NOT a fan of Cinnabon? Those look wonderful! Looking forward to following : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey, there hope all is well and that you and your girls had the Merriest of Christmases and a Happy New Year!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  27. Where are you? I miss you. Please come back!

    Monica H

    ReplyDelete
  28. I lovvvvveeeee cinnamon rolls. Ahh and Cinnabon is heaven to me. Your's look so awesome!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look and sound so yummy...I will have to put on my list of items to try this weekend if I can muster the energy...I am embarrassed to say how long I have gone without cooking since I've been so sick! My goal is to try to make at least one item each day this week.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My kids LOVE cinnamon! I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for this recipe! May I add this one to my list?

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are nice when you're in a bind. Nice swirls. You should try out Pioneer Woman's cinnamon roll recipe one day. It's pretty simple and they are the yummiest rolls ever.

    ReplyDelete
  33. YUMMMMMY.. having ladies over for breakfast, so going to try these :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd be so happy to hear your thoughts, answer questions, or exchange ideas.